First things that come to my mind when I am thinking about my trip to Australia a couple of month ago: worst sunburn ever, most beautiful beaches I have ever seen (Whitsundays!), first time I feed a kangaroo in my life and last but not least Banana Bread!
So when I returned to Germany (with 11 kg more luggage) my heart was overloaded by so many impressions and my mind full of new baking ideas. It was an amazing time and I have tons of wonderful memories with fantastic people in my head! And for everybody how doesn’t like banana that much… I wasn’t a big banana fan until I tried Banana bread in Australia. But now I love it! So maybe this recipe can convince you too. For me banana bread was the perfect breakfast while travelling because you can buy it one day ahead and it still tastes fresh and luscious the next day! Together with some fresh blueberries and a cup of coffee I was perfectly prepared for the next adventure!
250 g all-purpose flour
90 g granulated white sugar
60 g brown sugar
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
115 g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
300 g bananas (about 3 bananas, mashed well)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
TIPP: add 100g blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C and place oven rack to middle Position.
- Mix butter and both sugars with vanilla extract and honey. Add the eggs one after another and add the mashed bananas.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the wet ingredients (banana mixture) into the dry ingredients just until combined and the batter is thick.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake until bread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- This bread can be frozen.
In Australia Banana Bread is served toasted with butter or jam. But as you like you can serve it with everything! When I visited a close friend of mine, Christiane, in Sydney, we enjoyed banana bread crumbles with plain vanilla yogurt and fresh mango!
Best dessert/ breakfast/ snack ever! And by the way if you freeze the cutted bread,you can take it out of the freezer as single slices and put them in the toaster for just 2 minutes to enjoy it every morning!