It’s nearly time to start christmas baking of this year! So stay tuned for many delicious recipes. But before I start to show you my favorite christmas treats of this year…
Here it is: The ultimative not-dry chocolate cake! When I am baking birthday cakes or cakes for any other occassions I am asking people for their favorite cake. There are many answers like cheesecake, cupcakes with frosting, chocolate cake, Baumkuchen or lemon cake and so on… But there is one thing all people agree with. Nobody wants a dry cake! There ist nothing worse than a perfectly looking cake which tastes as dry as sand. I absolutely agree with this point! Therefore I would like to show you my favorite cake which is the opposite of dry and is a perfect option for your next birthday party!
This cake is one of the reasons many of my friends ask me to bake their wedding cake. But thats another story! 😉
First this cake contains hazelnuts which are as well influencing the consistence and dryness of the cake. But the secret comes after baking. Then you have to drizzle the cake with Rum! It will not only prevent your cake from drying out, it will as well give it a nice aroma which matches nicely with the dark chocolate glazing. This cake can be stored a few days and won’t dry out as quickly as other cakes do! So its very suitable when you need to bake ahead!
Dark chocolate hazelnut cake refined with Rum
300 g butter
300 g white sugar
pinch of salt
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
150 g chocolate chunks
75 g grounded hazelnuts
200 g flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
10 tbsp. Rum
400 g chocolate glazing (dark or milk chocolate)
- Preheat oven to 180°C and oil a baking pan (preferably a loaf pan).
- Separate eggs and beat egg whites, with a pinch of salt, until stiff. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix together butter and white sugar until very creamy (the longer you mix the better the batter will be). Add egg yolks one after another and vanilla extract until nicely incorporated.
- Add flour, baking powder, chocolate chunks and hazelnuts – Do not overmix! At last add stiff egg whites. Pour batter into the baking pan.
- Bake for about one hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Now, take a tablespoon and drizzle Rum over the cake. Then let it cool completely in the baking pan.
- Then remove form baking pan and cover with chocolate glazing.
Have fun baking!